Core Need Inquiry for Type 5
Core need of Type 5 is “to perceive or understand”: This need will drive type 5 to find a haven of power and respite from the overwhelm of life by becoming the masters of figuring out how something works. By understanding and figuring something out by oneself, type 5 can conserve on resources, especially energy, time, and money. Becoming an expert on special interests or parts of reality can be a way of protecting one’s heart from the chaos of life. When perceiving and understanding consumes the mind at the expense of feeling, relating, and being embodied, life becomes out of balance. Conceptualizing and observing can become a protective stance replacing actual participation in life.
- How would my life change if I spent more time experiencing than “understanding and figuring things out”?
- How could my stress be alleviated by allowing others to contribute to my life, including feeling more connected and bonded?
- How might I become less stressed if I spent less time trying to figure things out?
- What could become possible if I allowed the wisdom of my heart and body to integrate with my mind?
The Antidote to Stress for Type 5
Non-attachment is the transformational quality of the heart of type 5. This is about the ability to be with “what is” in a creative, responsive, and non-reactive way. This is about being fully present with reality and perceiving and experiencing life from all three centers: our head, our heart, and our body. With non-attachment we can see ourselves and others more clearly. We are affected by our experiences but do not hold onto any outcomes. We have more impetus to be fully alive, engaged, and compassionate with ourselves and others.
- In what area of my life could I let go of my attachment to outcomes and experience more energy and compassion for myself and others?
- Giving myself permission to be non-attached, what does my heart want me to know about an area of my life causing my stress? What does my body want me to know about an area of my life causing me stress?
Remember to reach out to me for a complimentary 15-minute coaching session to further explore any insights that arise from completing the inquiries at Gerise@GerisePappas.com.